Today we studied Massachusetts. We cooked Boston Baked Beans in honor of "Beantown" and learned how the Puritans would not cook on Sunday, so they started their beans on Saturday night and slow cooked them all night long to have on Sunday after church. I too have been convicted of really concentrating more on our Dear Lord on Sunday than I previously have been doing. I have decided not to even turn on the computer and really spend the day after church quietly resting or visiting with friends. Really to make the Lord's Day a special , not an ordinary day. Not out of strict legalism, but to honor the gracious Savior of my soul. How needy I am of a day, to stop the normal hustle and bustle and quietly reflect and think on Him and His goodness and kindness to such a one as I.
Claire Bear stirring the Boston Beans. They turned out to be quite yummy!
The Boston brown bread was a little tricky. We mixed it up and poured it into a coffee can to steam on top of the stove for 2 hours. I hope it is edible!!!

We all had fun mixing up the Boston brown bread. It had molasses, soured milk, raisins, walnuts, rye flour and cornmeal.
Ben is busy with a report on Massachusetts and Anna is doing one comparing and contrasting the Puritans and the Pilgrims.
We are going to watch Moby Dick in a bit. The study of whaling has been interesting and we really enjoyed the book, Carry on Mr. Bowditch.




We had planned our "Boston" dinner for this past Saturday, but decided our company might not appreciate our history lesson for dinner. We will try again next week after we return from our trip (if we go....forecast calls for 7-11 inches of snow on top of ice). Clam chowder is on the menu as well.
ReplyDeleteWe haven't finished Mr. Bowditch, but I am really contemplating switching over to his education methods. 8)